I decided last year to change the way I thought about my perpetual singleness. Singleness in my case is more of a blessing than a lack of blessing. I've learned so much in the last few years and had I not had these opportunities to improve myself I probably wouldn't have. Sadly, marriage appears to me as an escape from thinking so hard. The truth is God gave me talents, not the same talents that so many other women seem to share. I'm smart (depending on the scale), analytical and enjoy engineering and God seems to intend that I develop these unusual talents. People, sadly mostly the ones from church, still wonder, or accuse, why I develop this particular set of talents rather than get married and raise a family. Why would God give me and other women these talents if he did not intend for us to use them? While family is the most important part of life here, should that truth preclude the technical education of women, even beyond a bachelors degree?
Men have said to me, "I wouldn't want the mother of my kids to be stupid." Agreed, I'm almost offended that it had to be said. But what about what I need. In the movie Chariots of Fire, Eric Liddell says, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." Sometimes, I want to see how fast I can run.
Of course once I know, I'll have to find someone who can keep up.
2 comments:
Well said. I also have many opinions about the children of "stupid" women no matter how intelligent the father is, but they are not polite to share.
There are men looking for driven, intelligent, challenging women - they just have a hard time finding them because these women are so darn busy. I am so glad you won't compromise who you are just for the chance to get married. Family is wonderful, but everything is done in the Lord's time.
Just don't be too hard on those poor souls who dare to be interested in you. Remember that they haven't met anyone quite like you before and they know they have found something special, but they might not be sure how to handle you. You might have to give him a few "running" lessons, but beware, he might end up being faster in the end. (I don't know if that whole paragraph made sense)
I am so glad you feel this way now. I can't believe people would actually wonder or accuse why you are furthering your education instead of getting married and raising a family. To me it's just obvious you haven't met the right man yet, and I agree with Amber, I'm glad you won't compromise who you are just for the chance to get married. Plus you're young, your only 28! Some people in the church drive me nuts because they live in a box they have this idea of how things are "supposed" to be. I am so proud of you for furthering your education, if you didn't you would regret it. And ditto to Amber's last paragraph :) I love you girl!
Post a Comment